John J. Lothian
|Employer||John J. Lothian & Co, Inc.|
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
He is also a newsletter editor and publisher, commodity trading advisor (CTA) and industry consultant as well as a frequent moderator of industry panels. Lothian is the president & CEO of John J. Lothian & Company, Inc. He is a principal with John J. Lothian Managed Futures, LLC, a National Futures Association member CTA.
Lothian started his futures career as a 17-year old driver working for CBOT member and soybean broker Thomas J. Cashman. He worked in this capacity through his college years during the summers, while also working during the summer of 1981 as a floor messenger or runner on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade for Shearson American Express.
His first post-graduation full-time position was as a news reporter for Knight-Ridder's Commodity News Service, a news wire service covering the futures and cash commodity and financial markets. He left Knight-Ridder in April of 1985 following the low price volatility for agricultural and metals commodities and brokerage firm cut backs that caused contraction in the brokerage space.
In July of 1985 he joined First American Discount Corporation, founded by former CBOT Chairman William J. Mallers, Sr. Lothian joined the year old discount commodity brokerage firm in a news and operations role. He later advanced and moved to head a trading desk and participated in a trader training program led by Mallers.
Lothian left FADC the year after the stock market crash of 1987 to join a proprietary trading group backed by LIT America. Shortly after joining the group called Meltdown Trading, which was founded in October of 1987, the FBI investigation of the Chicago futures markets was announced. Lothian left Meltdown Trading in May of 1989.
In July of 1989 Lothian started traded futures for his own account on the MidAmerica Commodity Exchange and became a member of the exchange in September of 1989. He was a member until June of 1990 when he joined Gerald Commodities as an account executive.
He left Gerald prior to it selling its Chicago-based FCM business to one of its customers, forming Rand Financial. In the fall of 1992, Lothian joined the late John H. (Bud) Frazier, a former Gerald executive, at newly established Introducing Broker and CBOT member firm, US Futures & Options Company, Inc. After Frazier passed away in the summer of 1993, Lothian and a couple of longtime employees of Frazier established an Introducing Broker firm, The Frazier Associates.
In November of 1997, Lothian left The Frazier Associates and joined The Price Futures Group, Inc. as the president of the newly formed Electronic Trading Division. In December of 2010, Lothian switched to a branch manager for Price Futures Group, Inc., one of the industry’s leading Introducing Brokers. In June of 2011, Lothian resigned from The Price Group.
Lothian is editor and publisher of the John Lothian Newsletter, the flagship newsletter from John Lothian News (JLN), providing daily news and commentary about the global exchange traded derivatives, securities and related OTC markets. Additionally, he is publisher of JLN Environmental/Energy formerly Environmental Markets Newsletter, JLN Forex, JLN Interest Rates, JLN Managed Futures JLN Metals and JLN Options.
- Gold and Silver Battle Comes to Chicago
- The Most Successful Futures Industry Salesman
- Single Stock Futures and Exchange for Physicals
- Single Stock Futures: How to increase your profits
- Market Integrity Matters
- EXCLUSIVE Special Report by John Lothian on TT Patents
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: A merger of Chicago's exchanges would cripple free-market forces driving US futures industry
- Innovation and Competition Story Lost Amid Chicago-NY Struggle for Supremacy Hooey
- Wiki(ng) Our Way to the Future
- What We Do has Value to Society
- There is a New Sheriff in Town
- The Cost of the CBOT's Political Culture
- The CBOT Needs a New Chairman
- CBOT Settles with Carol Burke
- The CBOT is for Sale
- The Eurex US Myth, A Fish Story
- A CBOT Guy on the CME's Success
- Eurex's Great Trade that Benefitted the Industry
- Lunch with the New CME Chairman Terrence Duffy
- Open Letter to Congress about Speculation
- Painting the Tape, published November 25, 2002
- NYSE Webcast: The Impact of Futures, Options and Derivatives on Your Stock
- RTS "Market Trends" Panel, FIA Chicago, November 2008
- Financial Times Trading Room: John Lothian on the trading power of the tweet
Public Meeting to Examine Futures and Options Trading in the Metals Markets - March 25, 2010
FIA Boca Today Live 2011 John Lothian
What the Economic Crisis Has Taught Us
Previously, Lothian operated John J. Lothian & Company, Inc. as a Commodity Trading Advisor as well as a media firm. JJLCO had two managed futures programs; Big ED and Maple Sugar. The trading methology behind the managed programs was created by MarketsWiki Development Team member Jon Matte, formerly of Defender Capital Management, Inc. JJLCO purchased the trading programs and intellectual property rights behind them from Defender.
Testimony in Front of the CFTC
Lothian was chosen to speak at the CFTC's second hearing to discuss energy position limits and hedge exemptions on July 29, 2009.
- John Lothian July 2009 Testimony Before CFTC Regarding Open Hearings To Discuss Energy Position Limits And Hedge Exemptions
He also testified at the March 25, 2010 CFTC public meeting to examine futures and options trading in the metals markets.
He participated in a round-table discussion regarding the three statutory disruptive practices set forth in new section 4c(a)(5) of the Commodity Exchange Act (“CEA”) pursuant to section 747 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (“Dodd-Frank Act”).
On February 29 and March 1, 2012, Lothian participated in a CFTC roundtable in Washington, DC, discussing additional customer collateral protections. 
He is a 1983 graduate of Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in General Management/Finance and a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications/Journalism.
- John James Lothian NFA ID: 0212478
- John J. Lothian & Company, Inc. NFA ID: 0339209
- John J. Lothian Managed Futures LLC NFA ID: 0431985
Lothian is married and lives in Elmhurst, IL with his wife Cheryl and their three children.
He served as the District Chairman of Potawatomi Trails District of Three Fires Council, Boy Scouts of America from 2006 to 2009. He serves as a Boy Scout Scoutmaster and Merit Badge counselor.
At the 2007 Futures Industry Association EXPO in Chicago, Lothian was the target of 18 pies thrown at him for a fundraiser for Boy Scouts.
- John J. Lothian & Company, Inc. Website
- John Lothian News Website
- John Lothian Productions Website
- John Lothian Newsletter Website
- JLN Environmental/Energy Website
- JLN Metals Website
- JLN Options Website
- JLN Interest Rates Website
- JLN Managed Futures Website
- JLN Forex Website
- John Lothian on Twitter
- ↑ STAC Midwinter Conference. Securities Traders Association of Chicago.
- ↑ A Wikipedia for Traders. Barron's.
- ↑ An Interview with John Lothian on MarketsWiki. RTS Group.
- ↑ High frequency scapegoating. Futures Magazine.
- ↑ Exchange Vets Meet to Hear Advice From One of Their Own. Northwestern University.
- ↑ Conference Finds Time For A Little Options Exchange Humor. WSJ.com.
- ↑ Report from the Options Industry Conference: Growth, Transparency and Other Issues. Exchanges (blog).
- ↑ Global Exchange CEO & Investor Conference. Rosenblatt Securities.
- ↑ Discussing derivatives and issues affecting the exchange industry. NASDAQ OMX.
- ↑ CTA Roundtable done in conjunction with Eurex in Chicago in June 2012. FOW.
- ↑ John Lothian Biography. John J. Lothian & Company, Inc..
- ↑ Technology Advisory Committee and Renewal of the Committee Charter and Membership. U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- ↑ IFM Board of Trustees. The Institute for Financial Markets.
- ↑ I am not a Futures Broker (Anymore). John Lothian News.
- ↑ Taking My Own Advice. John Lothian News.
- ↑ People. The Price Futures Group, Inc..
- ↑ Man Group settles patent suit. Financial Times.
- ↑ John Lothian Rings the closing bell at Euronext Amsterdam. John Lothian News.
- ↑ About John Lothian Newsletter. John Lothian News.
- ↑ John Lothian News. John Lothian News.
- ↑ Gold and Silver Battle Comes to Chicago. John Lothian News.
- ↑ Noteworthy Articles. Leo Melamed.com.
- ↑ Single Stock Futures and Exchange for Physicals. John Lothian News.
- ↑ Editorial Reviews. Magic Carpet Trading.
- ↑ Fastbreak. Futuresource.
- ↑ Media Coverage. Trading Technologies.
- ↑ Letters to the Editor. Financial Times.
- ↑ Great Commentary by Lothian. Agoros.com.
- ↑ Wiki(ng) Our Way to the Future. The John Lothian Newsletter.
- ↑ TradeTech 2006 Keynote Speech. John Lothian News.
- ↑ There is a New Sheriff in Town. John Lothian News.
- ↑ Business-Combination Transaction Communication·Rule 425, CBOT Holdings, Inc.. U.S. Securities Exchange Commission.
- ↑ The Cost of the CBOT's Political Culture. John Lothian News.
- ↑ The CBOT Needs a New Chairman. John Lothian News.
- ↑ CBOT Settles with Carol Burke. John Lothian News.
- ↑ The CBOT is for Sale. John Lothian News.
- ↑ The Eurex US Myth, A Fish Story. John Lothian News.
- ↑ A CBOT Guy on the CME's Success. John Lothian News.
- ↑ Eurex's Great Trade that Benefitted the Industry. John Lothian News.
- ↑ Review of the Regulatory Structure Associated With Financial Institutions; Comments of The United States Department of Justice. U.S. Department of Justice.
- ↑ Commodity Exchanges and Antitrust. The Berkeley Electronic Press.
- ↑ Lunch with the New CME Chairman Terrence Duffy. John Lothian News.
- ↑ John Lothian: Regulating speculators will only hurt us. Rossputin.
- ↑ The Impact of Futures, Options and Derivatives on Your Stock. New York Stock Exchange.
- ↑ RTS "Market Trends" Panel, FIA Chicago, November 2008. Automated Trader Magazine.
- ↑ John Lothian on the trading power of the tweet. Financial Times Trading Room.
- ↑ John Lothian. Swiss Futures & Options Association.
- ↑ Press Release. CFTC.
- ↑ Press Release. CFTC.
- ↑ Antidisruptive Practices Authority. U.S. Federal Register.
- ↑ Panel List. CFTC.
- ↑ Alumni News. Purdue University Department of Communication.
- ↑ District chairman hopes to draw upon his business experience. Elmhurst Press.
- ↑ Board of Directors. Three Fires Council, Boy Scouts of America.