|Employer||The United States Senate Committee on Finance|
On Dec. 16, 2011, Baucus called a meeting with Commissioner Jill Sommers to discuss her investigation of bankrupt broker-dealer MF Global. He discussed with her the need for rules regulating the use of customer segregated funds. In a Dec. 15, 2011 letter to Sommers, Baucus had written this:
"As you pointed out, it is clear under the law that commodity customers have the highest priority against the assets of a bankrupt broker. Neither MF Global Holdings Ltd. nor any of its subsidiaries can legally see one red cent of customer property until commodity customers ... are paid in full."
On Dec. 22, 2011, Baucus and 15 other senators wrote to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder regarding the seriousness of the MF Global investigation, the return of customer funds and the potential for criminal charges being filed.
Baucus is also a senior member of the Senate Agriculture Committee. His work led to the passage of the 2008 Farm Bill, creating an agricultural disaster assistance program and helping farms stay in operation. He participates in the following groups:
- Subcommittee on Domestic and Foreign Marketing, Inspection, and Plant and Animal Health
- Subcommittee on Production and Income Protection and Price Support
- Subcommittee on Hunger, Nutrition and Family Farms
Baucus is a senior member of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, and the chairman of the Transportation Subcommittee (responsible for federal highway laws). He worked to pass the 1998 and 2005 Highway Bills, and also sits on the Subcommittee on Clean Air and Nuclear Safety, and the Subcommittee on Superfund, Toxics and Environmental Health.
- Helena High School (1959)
- B.A., Stanford University
- J.D., Stanford University
- ↑ U.S. Senate Committee on Finance: Contact. U.S. Senate Committee on Finance.
- ↑ U.S. Senate Committee on Finance: Subcommittees. U.S. Senate Committee on Finance.
- ↑ Baucus Calls Meeting with Lead MF Global Investigator. Max Baucus - U.S. Senator from Montana.
- ↑ Cloud over US futures not lifting soon. Stock & Land.
- ↑ Max's Committee Assignments. Max Baucus - U.S. Senator from Montana.
- ↑ Max's Biography. Max Baucus - U.S. Senator from Montana.