Options Industry Council
|WATCH: Alan Grigoletto on OIC’s new education efforts on MarketsWiki.tv (January 2013)|
|The Options Industry Council|
|Key People||Gina McFadden, President; Mary Savoie, Executive Director|
The Options Industry Council (OIC) was formed in 1992 by the Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) and the four US options exchanges. Today, it is an industry cooperative funded by BATS Options, Boston Options Exchange, the Chicago Board Options Exchange, C2 Options Exchange, the International Securities Exchange, NASDAQ OMX PHLX, NASDAQ Options Market, NYSE Amex Options, NYSE Arca Options and OCC. The stated goal of these organizations is to provide a financially sound and efficient marketplace for the options investing public where they can hedge risk and find new opportunities to profit from market participation. Education is one of the areas that assists in accomplishing that goal.
OIC is active in educating investors and their financial advisors about the benefits and risks of exchange-traded equity options. To that end, OIC hosts options seminars, webcasts and podcasts, distributes literature, and maintains a web site and investor services live help desk. Its free educational seminars are taught by experienced exchange professionals.
In June 2012, OIC and the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) signed a content sharing agreement making the OIC's options educational materials available to CISI members. This agreement will shift the CISIs sphere of influence into the United States market with the offering of OIC resources such as "investor services live help" and "www.OptionsEducation.org". 
Products and Services
OIC conducts hundreds of seminars and Webcasts throughout the year, distributes thousands of interactive CDs and brochures, and maintains a Web site. Options industry professionals create the content in OIC's software, brochures and Web site. OIC also maintains a staff of compliance and legal professionals.
A downloadable e-Reader version of the options book An Investor’s Guide to Trading Options is available on OIC’s Web site.
Seminars focusing on basic, intermediate, and advanced options topics such as volatility are offered at select locations across the U.S. Additional intermediate and volatility seminars have been added for investors seeking advanced education.
OIC offers dozens of podcasts accessible at the viewers' convenience.
OIC's Investor Services is available for options-related questions that do not focus on trading/investing advice but rather on options education (1-888-OPTIONS or 1-888-678-4667), e-mail email@example.com; international callers use 312-463-6193.
Investor Services Hours
- Open all trading days from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Chicago Time).
- Except: Investor Services closes at 3:30 p.m. (Chicago time) every Monday for training purposes, but maintains regular hours on Mondays following expiration.
Virtual Trading System
In November of 2007, the OIC introduced the Virtual Trading System (VTS) to its online educational offerings. The system is designed to provide investors with the most realistic trading environment possible as they practice executing various options strategies.
OIC’s VTS screens allow investors to experience a realistic trading situation for trading stocks and options, using strategies such as spreads, straddles and covered calls, while also investigating different order types like triggers and one-cancels-other. The system also offers stock and options quote detail screens where users can obtain quotes whenever they need to from any screen through the integrated quote window.
Annual OIC/FIA Conference
Annual Options Industry Conference
The annual Options Industry Conference is jointly sponsored by all the U.S. options exchanges. The conference is attended by representatives from all segments of the options business and is a major event for top level management and trading professionals.
John Lothian News Interviews
Alan Grigoletto on OIC’s new education efforts
Alan Grigoletto was recently promoted to vice president, education at the Options Industry Council (OIC), where he is responsible for expanding OIC’s educational efforts, including developing educational programs for the European markets. He was interviewed by Sarah Rudolph of John Lothian News about the challenges for market makers in the current atmosphere and OIC’s response to those issues, the growing use of options by pension funds and others, what’s ahead for options volume, and the OIC’s new seminars for 2013. Published Jan. 31, 2013.
- President, Gina McFadden
- Executive Director, Mary Savoie
- Managing Director, OIC, International, Gary Delany
- Managing Director, OIC, Institutional, Philip Gocke
OIC was formed in 1992. Today, it is an industry cooperative funded by BATS Options, Boston Options Exchange, the Chicago Board Options Exchange, C2, the International Securities Exchange, NASDAQ OMX PHLX, NASDAQ Options Market, NYSE Amex Options, NYSE Arca Options, and OCC
To better reflect its long-term commitment to increasing the awareness, knowledge and responsible use of exchange-listed equity options among individual investors and their financial advisors, OIC renamed its website www.optionseducation.org in November 2007.
- In early August, 2010, OIC and the Bombay Stock Exchange announced cooperation on educational offerings aimed at Indian investors including sharing online content, case studies, research and white papers promoting the responsible use of options, as well as seminars to be held in several Indian cities.
- www.optionseducation.org/. Options Industry Council.
- The Options Industry Council's Taxes and Investing pamphlet for investors has been updated for 2009 and is now available for download at http://www.optionseducation.org/resources/literature/files/taxes_and_investing.pdf
- The Options Industry Council's Loosening Your Collar: Alternative Implementations of QQQ Collars 2009 Collar Strategy for Fund Manager is now available for viewing at http://www.optioneducation.net/select/direct_login.asp?content=doc-qqqdirect
- ↑ About The Options Industry Council. Options Industry Council.
- ↑ OIC CISI Content Sharing. Tabb group.
- ↑ CISI OIC Options Content Sharing. MarketsWire.
- ↑ Seminars And Events Registration. OIC.
- ↑ Online Classes. OIC.
- ↑ OIC Audio & Video Podcasting. OIC.
- ↑ "The Options Industry Council Adds Virtual Trading to Its Portfolio of Educational Tools”. OIC.
- ↑ Alan Grigoletto on OIC’s new education efforts. MarketsWiki.tv.
- ↑ Press Release. OIC.