|Key People||Tom Chippas, CEO; Robert Thrash, COO; Matt Trudeau, Chief Strategy Officer|
|Products||Cryptocurrency futures and spot trading markets|
ErisX is a spot exchange for trading in cryptocurrencies, launched in April 2019. ErisX plans on listing and clearing cryptocurrency futures contracts in the second half of 2019.
ErisX, the successor to Eris Exchange, a designated contract market that listed interest rate swap futures products, was granted a derivatives clearing organization (DCO) license by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission on July 1, 2019. It was granted a designated contract market license in 2011, under the Eris Exchange structure. With the DCM and DCO licenses, ErisX plans to offer a single platform for spot and futures with a separate clearinghouse, with an goal to be the first US exchange to do so. This is aimed at attracting more institutional investors to the cryptocurrency markets.
On October 3, 2018, ErisX announced its formation as the successor to Eris Exchange. Its initial investors included: DRW Venture Capital, Valor Equity Partners, TD Ameritrade, Virtu Financial, CME Group formerly NEX Opportunities, Cboe Global Markets, CTC Group Investments, Digital Currency Group, Nico Trading, Pantera Capital, Third Stone Partners, CMT Digital, Susquehanna International Group, XR Trading, C2 Capital Management and ED&F Man Capital Markets Inc.
Following quickly on the closing of its first round of financing, ErisX announced on December 4, 2018, that it had closed a second funding round of $27.5 million with backing from new investors: Bitmain, ConsenSys, Fidelity Investments, Nasdaq Ventures and TradeStation Securities’ parent company, Monex Group Inc. Some investors from the earlier funding round also participated.
ErisX followed that up with a third round of funding in April 2019 of $20 million with investors that included: Arc Light Securities, Castle Island Ventures, Dragonfly Capital Partners, Flow Traders, Tradestation and New York Digital Investment Group (NYDIG).
The CFTC approval of a license for a derivatives clearing organization on July 1, 2019 further advanced ErisX's ambition to offer spot and futures on cryptocurrencies on a single platform that would then be cleared by a separate, regulated clearinghouse. Futures contracts are planned for listing in the second half of 2019.
- ErisX Granted Derivatives Clearing Organization License For Physically Delivered Digital Asset Futures Contracts by U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission. ErisX Press Release.
- ErisX Announces New Exchange for Digital Asset Investors and Traders. ErisX press release via Businesswire.
- TD Ameritrade and High-Speed Traders Back New Crypto Exchange. The Wall Street Journal.
- Fidelity, Bitmain and More Invest $27 Million in Crypto Trading Platform ErisX. Coindesk.
- Chicago chases the pot o' crypto. Crain's Chicago Business.
- ErisX Launches Crypto Spot Market on Heels of New $20 Million Raise. Coindesk.
- ErisX Wins Additional Support from Influential Investors, Publicly Launches Spot Market. ErisX Press Release.
- ErisX Launches Crypto Spot Market on Heels of New $20 Million Raise. CoinDesk.