Global Association of Risk Professionals
|Global Association of Risk Professionals|
|Headquarters||Headquarters in Jersey City, NJ with a regional office in London, England|
|Products||Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Professional Designation, International Certificate in Banking Risk and Regulation (ICBRR), and Foundations of Banking Risk (FBR) Program|
The Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP) is a not-for-profit independent organization which is the only globally recognized membership association for risk managers. It has more than 150,000 members from 195 countries and territories. Its goal is to help create a culture of risk awareness within organizations, from entry level to board level.  Through its educational programs, in-person and online events, and worldwide chapters, GARP promotes best practices in risk management and supports professional and career development for risk managers.
Products and Services
GARP focuses on these primary areas of concentration:
• Testing and Certification
• Education and Training
• Membership and Networking
- The Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation is a certification recognized among financial risk professionals worldwide. Currently, there are over 28,000 Certified FRMs practicing in more than 90 countries globally. The FRM Program is designed to comprehensively measure a candidates’ ability to manage financial risk in a real-world setting.
- The Energy Risk Professional (ERP) designation is the first and only global certification for energy risk professionals. Certified ERPs represent major energy companies, financial institutions with direct and indirect investments in energy, consulting and technology firms with energy-related practices, and government agencies.
Annual and Regional Events
GARP Events include conferences, conventions, executive briefings and master classes.
Each year, GARP presents the Risk Manager of the Year Award to an individual, or group of individuals, who have advanced and influenced the financial risk profession.
Risk Managers of the Year:
- 2013: Robert B. Litterman, Partner and Chairman of the Risk Committee and Advisory Panel, Kepos Capital LP
- 2012: Brian Leach, Head of Franchise Risk and Strategy, Citi
- 2011: Aaron Brown, Head of Risk Management, AQR Capital Management
- 2010: Dr. Hugo Bänziger, Chief Risk Officer, Deutsche Bank
- 2009: Liu Mingkang, Chairman, The China Banking Regulatory Commission
- 2008: Dr. Rene' M. Stulz, Everett D. Reese Chair of Banking and Monetary Economics, The Ohio State University
- 2007: European Central Bank
- 2006: Robert J. Shiller, Stanley B. Resor Professor of Economics, Department of Economics & Cowles Foundation of Research in Economics, Yale University
- 2005: E. Gerald Corrigan, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
- 2004: Jacques Longerstaey, Managing Director, Putnam Investments
- 2003: Michael Gordy, Senior Economist, Division of Research, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve, Washington, DC
- 2002: Mark Wallace, MD, Head of Strategic Business Development and Ian Drew, Chief Credit Officer from UBS Warburg
- 2001: Glenn Labhart, Chief Risk Officer, Dynegy Inc.
- 2000: Bill Martin, Global Head of Risk Management, The Royal Bank of Scotland Group
- 1999: Thomas Wilde, Director, CSFB
- 1998: Robert Mark, Senior Executive Vice President, Chief Risk Officer, Risk Management, CIBC
- 1997: James Lam, President & CEO, Enterprise Risk Solutions (Oliver Wyman)
GARP Board Members:
- Rich Apostolik, President and Chief Executive Officer, GARP
- Kenneth Abbott, Managing Director, Morgan Stanley
- Susan Schmidt Bies, Member of the Boards of Directors, Bank of America, Zurich Insurance Group
- Lewis O'Donald, Group Chief Risk Officer, Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Ben Golub, Chief Risk Officer, BlackRock
- Richard Goulding, Group Chief Risk Officer, Standard Chartered Bank
- Stuart Lewis, Chief Risk Officer, Member of Mgmt. Board & Group Executive Committee, Deutsche Bank AG
- Jacques Longerstaey, Chief Risk Officer, Investment Risk, Wealth Brokerage and Retirement, Wells Fargo & Company
- William Martin (Chairman), Chief Risk Officer, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
- Michelle McCarthy, Managing Director, Director of Risk Management, Nuveen Investments
- Victor Ng, Managing Director, Global Head Corporate Risk, Chief Risk Architect in Market Risk Analytics and Management, Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Riccardo Rebonato, Global Head of Rates and FX Analytics, Pacific Investment Management Company (PIMCO)
- Jacob Rosengarten, Chief Risk Officer, XL Capital
- Robert Scanlon, Former Group Chief Credit Officer, Standard Chartered Bank
- Jonathan Stein, Chief Risk Officer, Amerada Hess
- Dr. René Stulz (Chairman, FRM Committee), Everett D. Reese Chair of Banking and Monetary Economics, Ohio State University
- Peter Tufano, Peter Moores Dean and Professor of Finance, University of Oxford