|Employer||World Federation of Exchanges|
Huseyin Erkan is chief executive officer (CEO) of the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE). He was named to this position in October of 2012. He served until October 2014, when he stepped down as CEO. He was replaced by WFE secretary-general Nandini Sukumar CEO.
Erkan was previously secretary general of the WFE. He was appointed to this position in June of 2012, a year after he began sitting on the association's board of directors. Erkan's appointment came at a time when the WFE looked to restructure its upper management and increase its role in shaping global financial regulation. Following final agreements on restructuring by the board, Erkan was expected to assume the role of chief executive of the WFE.
Prior to this, Erkan served as chairman and CEO of the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) from late 2007-2012, his second stint at the exchange following an initial 10-year career at the ISE. During that time he was instrumental in establishing the 33-member Federation of Euro-Asian Stock Exchanges (FEAS), of which he became president.
In November 2011, plans were announced for a merger between Turkey's two largest exchanges: ISE and TurkDEX. Erkan also announced at that time that he would step down due to a new law passed by the Turkish government, giving the capital city of Ankara the power to appoint executives to the ISE board.
Erkan first joined the ISE in 1994 and a year later was promoted to executive vice chairman - a position he held until his departure in 2006. Before re-joining ISE in 2007 he was briefly general manager of Istanbul-based Ticaret Securities and was chief advisor to the board of the Konya Sugar Company. In addition to FEAS, he also established the international relations, research and international market departments at ISE during his first tenure. Prior to joining the ISE, Erkan was partner and deputy chairman at brokerage firm Tezal Securities, and before that a research analyst for Bankers Trust in Istanbul.
Erkan graduated from New York University's Stern School of Business in 1981 with a bachelor's degree in Economics. He later graduated with an MBA in international business and finance from the same institution in 1984, where his research focused on currency risk management at the United Nations International Development Program (UNDP).
- Hüseyin Erkan to retire as chief executive of WFE. The Financial Times.
- WFE Appoints Nandini Sukumar as New Chief Administrative Officer. Yahoo! Finance.
- 2010 Annual Report & Statistics. World Federation of Exchanges.
- directors Board of Directors. World Federation of Exchanges.
- Erkan Named Secretary General of WFE. Financial Times.
- Chairman & CEO. Istanbul Stock Exchange.
- Turkish exchanges plan combination. Financial Times.
- Hüseyin Erkan: Chairman, Istanbul Stock Exchange. International Council of Securities Associations.
- Hüseyin Erkan. Milken Institute Global Conference 2009.