James E. Newsome
|James E. Newsome|
|Employer||Delta Strategy Group|
|Location||New York City|
James E. Newsome is a consultant and lobbyist with the Delta Strategy Group of Washington, D.C. Formerly, he was president of the New York Mercantile Exchange from August of 2004 until it was acquired by the CME Group in August of 2008. He was named to the board of CME Group at the time of the acquisition. His term expired in 2011.
Newsome previously served on the board of directors of the Dubai Mercantile Exchange and is a former director of the National Futures Association. He also serves on the CFTC Global Markets Advisory Committee. 
In August of 2010, Newsome was named to the board of directors of TruMarx Data Partners, a web-based execution platform that allows power and natural gas market participants to create an individual private market for each of their bilateral OTC transactions.
Before becoming president of NYMEX, Newsome served as chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) beginning in December 2001, following his term as a CFTC commissioner from August of 1998.
In addition to his responsibilities at the CFTC, Newsome served as a member of the President's Working Group on Financial Markets and on the President's Corporate Fraud Task Force to coordinate corporate fraud investigations.
Before coming to the CFTC, Newsome was chairman of the Mississippi Agribusiness Council which is devoted to the promotion of domestic and international agribusiness development within the state of Mississippi.
Newsome also spent some time as the executive vice president for both the Mississippi Cattleman's Association and the Mississippi Beef Council.
In the late 80s, Newsome also served as an instructor at Mississippi State University where he researched and taught beef cattle management issues.
His honors include: Distinguished Alumnus, University of Florida; Alumni Fellow, Mississippi State University; 2004 Arthur Kaplan Award, Futures & Options for Kids; and Person of the Year, SFO Magazine. Newsome served on the Board of Trustees for the Institute for Financial Markets from 2004-2009,, a nonprofit educational foundation.
Newsome received his bachelor of science degree in Food and Resource Economics from the University of Florida and his masters of science and doctorate of philosophy degrees from Mississippi State University. From 1982 to 1985, Newsome served as a graduate teaching assistant at Mississippi State University.
- Delta Strategy Group. Open Secrets.
- Former CFTC officials form derivatives consultancy. Financial Times.
- James E. Newsome. CME.
- Executives. Wall Street Journal.
- Press Release. CME.
- Who's Who. Dubai Mercantile Exchange.
- Global Markets Advisory Committee Members. Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- CTFC, Toothless Regulator, Looks to Take a Bite Out of Derivatives. Huffington Post.
- TruMarx Data Partners Welcomes Three Energy/Commodities Industry Leaders to its Board of Directors. Business Wire.
- GAVILON APPOINTS DR. JAMES E. NEWSOME TO BOARD OF MANAGERS. Gavilon.
- Trading Places: Ex-CFTC Chairman joins Bitfury advisory board. Futures Magazine.
- Opposites Pull Together in Overhauling Mercantile Exchange. Forbes.
- CFTC Chairman Newsome to Head NYMEX. FOX News.
- Chairman James E. Newsome. Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- Press Release. The White House.
- CALS Graduate, Former Presidential Advisor James Newsome Receives Distinguished Alumnus Award from UF. University of Florida.
- CALS Alumni Fellow. Mississippi State University.
- Futures and Options for Kids Announces 2004 Annual Awards. U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- "Institute for Financial Markets”. IFM.
- James E. Newsome. Forbes.