|Employer||Federal Reserve Board|
Jeremy Stein is a member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. He was nominated on Dec. 27, 2011 by President Barack Obama and was formally sworn into office on July 26, 2012.  Stein was previously the Moise Y. Safra Professor of Economics at Harvard University and teaches undergraduate and PhD courses in finance.
Stein will step down as a Fed governor after and return to his position as an economics professor at Harvard on May 28, 2014.
Stein has published many research topics, including behavioral finance and stock-market efficiency. He is the co-editor of the Quarterly Journal of Economics, and has served as the co-editor of the Journal of Economic Perspectives. In a September 2008 interview with Bloomberg Television, Stein partially blamed the Fed for the financial crisis surrounding subprime mortgages.
One of the highlights of his time at the Fed was a speech in February 2013 in which he warned of speculation in some corners of the financial sector and said that monetary policy might need to respond. This helped to make him the leading voice among officials who feared overheating in bond markets as a result of the Fed's third, open-ended round of quantitative easing.
He served as Obama's senior advisor to the Treasury Secretary and as a staff member on the National Economic Council from February 2009 to July 2009. Stein is also reportedly a consultant to Guggenheim Partners on asset-management strategy.
Stein was the president of the American Finance Association in 2008, just before working on President Obama's administration. Stein joined Harvard in 2000, and prior to that, he was a finance faculty member at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Sloan School of Management, being named a J.C. Penney Professor of Management during his 10 years there. From 1987 to 1990, Stein was an assistant professor of finance at the Harvard Business School.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Fellow
- National Bureau of Economic Research, Research Associate
- Financial Advisory Roundtable, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Member
- Board of Governors Bio. The U.S. Federal Reserve.
- Stein Nominated to Federal Reserve Board of Governors. The Harvard Crimson.
- Stein steps down as Fed governor. The Financial Times.
- Obama to Choose Powell, Stein for Fed Board. Bloomberg.
- Obama to Name Two Fed Board Nominees. WSJ.
- Jeremy C. Stein. Harvard University.