John L. Thornton is chairman of the board of trustees of the Brookings Institution.  He is a professor and director of global leadership at Tsinghua University in Beijing. 
Thornton serves on numerous boards, including Ford Motor Company,  Intel,  and the Asia Society. Thornton is co-chair the Committee on Capital Markets Regulation. 
Thornton joined Goldman Sachs in 1980 and became a partner in 1988. From 1999 to 2003 when he retired, he served as president and co-chief operating officer.
Thornton earned a BA in History from Harvard University in 1976 and a bachelor's and master's in Jurisprudence from Oxford University Law School in 1978. He also earned an MA in Public and Private Management from Yale University in 1980. 
- ↑ Leadership. Brookings Institution.
- ↑ News & Events. Tsinghua University.
- ↑ Board of Directors. Ford Motor Company.
- ↑ Intel Executive Biography. Intel.
- ↑ Trustees. Asia Society.
- ↑ Committee Members. Committee on Capital Markets Regulation.
- ↑ Press Releases. Goldman Sachs.
- ↑ Profile. NNBD.