Newmont Mining Corporation
|Newmont Mining Corporation|
|Key People||Richard O'Brien President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Products||Metals mining and exploration|
Newmont Mining Corporation (Newmont) is a gold producing company with assets or operations in the United States, Australia, Peru, Indonesia, Ghana, New Zealand and Mexico. It is also engaged in the production of copper, principally through its Batu Hijau operation in Indonesia and Boddington operation in Australia.
As of Dec. 31, 2009, Newmont had proven and probable gold reserves of 91.8 million equity ounces and an aggregate land position of approximately 33,400 square miles (86,500 square kilometers). In June 2009, the Company completed the acquisition of the remaining 33.33% interest in Boddington from AngloGold Ashanti Australia Limited (AngloGold).
Colonel William Boyce Thompson founded the Newmont Company in 1916 as a holding company for private acquisitions in oil and gas, mining and minerals enterprises. Newmont was incorporated in 1921 and has been publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) since 1940. Newmont has mined gold, copper, silver, lead, zinc, lithium, uranium, coal, nickel and aggregates, and even oil and gas.
Newmont's most recent acquisition was Hope Bay (the largest undeveloped greenfield in North America). The company maintains exploration projects in Peru and Ghana, and has plans for Australia’s largest gold producer at Boddington. The Minahasa gold mine in Indonesia was opened in the 1990s and closed in 2003. In early 2000, the company began the copper and gold mine at Batu Hijau.
Products and Services
- Gold (as of year-end 2011): 98.8 million attributable ounces of proven and probable gold reserves. Attributable production of 5.2 million ounces.
- Copper (as of year-end 2011): 9.7 billion attributable pounds of proven and probable copper reserves. Attributable production of 206 million pounds.
- Richard O'Brien, President & Chief Executive Officer
- Gary J. Goldberg, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
- Russell Ball, Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
- Bill MacGowan, Executive Vice President, Human Resources & Communications
- Nicholas Cotts, Group Executive, Environment & Social Responsibility