|Occupation||Chief Operating Officer|
|Employer||Tower Research Capital|
Before that he was a managing director and CIO with the Chicago Mercantile Exchange from April 2000 to May 2004). As managing director and CIO of the CME, Johnston oversaw the exchange's critical technology development and computer systems, including electronic trading systems, enterprise computing, regulatory and clearing systems, systems architecture, trading floor systems development and customer support. Johston was hired at the CME by CEO James McNulty who elevated the CIO position to one of nine managing directors who reported directly to him. McNulty had previously worked with Johnston at O'Connor and Associates, where Johnston at one time had been a floor trader at the CME.
During Johnston's tenure as CIO of the CME, their electronic trading platform (Globex) was upgraded and rebuilt, improving the speed and reliability of the platform. He is credited with leading the technology effort that led to increased volume on Globex, which led to improved profitability at the exchange. Also while he was at the CME, the EAGLE (Electronic Arbitrage Globex Liquidity Enhancer) Eurodollar trading platform was developed and introduced, allowing electronic trading of Eurodollar calender spreads to be traded without legging risk.
Additionally, during this time, Globex was modified to handle the routing of single stock futures orders to OneChicago through a special API connected to CBOEDirect. Also, in 2004 Johnston was CIO of the CME when it moved the clearing of trades for the Chicago Board of Trade from the Clearing Corp to CME Clearing.
Johnston received a BGS degree from the University of Michigan.
- Scott Johnston. LinkedIn.
- Algo trading to double, says Eurex. Risk.
- Prominent People. FIA.
- Where are Patents in the Financial Marketplace Headed? And Who Owns What?. SFO Magazine.
- Crain's Annual CIO Forum. Crain's Chicago Business.
- Trouble at the Top. CIO Magazine.
- People Moves. FOW.
- CME Eagle Launch Suffers Stoppages. Dealingwithtechnology.com.
- CME delays Eagle launch until January. Finextra.
- The Hybrid Zone: Who Holds the Key to Trading Single Stock Futures?. Financial Technology Network.
- Taming The IT Project Monster. News4Jax.com.
- CME creates technology and enterprise computing division. Finextra.
- Bryan Starts Business Toolkit; Portal for Contractors, Consultants. Dealing With Technology.