|| Investor, Philanthropist
Stephen Schuler is a Chicago based trader, investor, entrepreneur, executive and philanthropist. He and Daniel Tierney founded GETCO in 1999.
He served as CEO of GETCO and then as non-executive vice chairman of KCG Holdings following the merger of GETCO and Knight Capital.
He is also involved with various philanthropic efforts. He and his wife, Mary Jo, co-founded the Good Heart, Work Smart Foundation in 2006, which contributes to charities such as Aspire of Illinois and the Special Olympics. After Hurricane Katrina, he helped set up a GETCO matching fund that raised more than $66,000 for a women's hospital in New Orleans.
Schuler also serves on the board of directors of the Futures Industry Association.
Schuler has more than 25 years of experience in trading and capital markets. Before founding GETCO, he was head of the Schuler Group, a brokerage firm focused on floor execution services, broker-assisted trading and electronic trading systems.
He began his career as a runner on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME). In 1984, he became a member of the CME and began trading financial futures.
In 2016, Schuler resigned from the board of director of KCG Holdings, following in the steps of GETCO co-founder Dan Tierney who resigned in 2015.
In 2010, Schuler and Tierney wrote a letter to the FT in the aftermath of the Flash Crash.
- ↑ Our History. GETCO.
- ↑ The New Masters of Wall Street. Forbes.
- ↑ Goldman defector draws attention to electronic trading firms. CNNMoney.com.
- ↑ Trading Firm Getco Gets Big Private-Equity Investment. Wall Street Journal.
- ↑ Dark Pools: The Rise of the Machine Traders and the Rigging of the U.S. Google Books.
- ↑ Man Vs. Machine: Seven Major Players in High-Frequency Trading. CNBC.
- ↑ KCG taps former Getco CEO Schuler. Crain's Chicago Business.
- ↑ Panelists' Biographies, Market Structure Roundtable. SEC.gov.
- ↑ Board Members. Futures Industry Association.
- ↑ Stephen Schuler Resigns From KCG's Board, Following Tierney. Bloomberg.
- ↑ Speed-Trading Pioneer Daniel Tierney Resigns From KCG Board. Bloomberg.
- ↑ Flash Crash a ‘Wake-Up Call’ at Getco. New York Times.
- ↑ Tough and targeted rules will strengthen markets, By Stephen Schuler and Daniel Tierney. Financial Times.
We visit more than 100 websites daily for financial news (Would YOU do that?). Read the John Lothian Newsletter.