Futures Industry Association
|Futures Industry Association|
|Products||Advocacy, Volume and Open Interest Reports, Publications, Conferences|
The Futures Industry Association is an industry advocacy and education organization that provides a variety of products and support for its member organizations and for the futures (and options) industry as a whole. Regular members of the FIA are Futures Commission Merchants. Futures exchanges and other organizations and individuals are Associate Members.
The FIA estimates that FCM regular members are responsible for more than 80 percent of the customer business transacted on U.S. futures exchanges. Included in these FCM members are global brokerage firms, investment banks and specialty futures firms.
Among key staff at FIA:
- John M. Damgard, president
- Barbara Wierzynski, EVP & general counsel
- Mary Ann Burns, EVP, Industry Relations
- Jeffrey D. Morgan, chief operating officer
FIA Board Leadership
- Richard Berliand, FIA chairman; managing director, JP Morgan Securities Ltd.
- Kenneth M. Ford, FIA vice chairman; managing director, Credit Suisse
- Ira Polk, FIA treasurer/secretary; chief administrative officer, MF Global
Founded in 1955 in New York, the organization was originally known as the Association of Commodity Exchange Firms. It was established to provide a forum to discuss issues, study ways to increase the operating efficiency of the futures industry, and provide an educational and informational interface with the public.
In 1973, the FIA expanded to include Chicago FCMs. The organization changed its name to the Futures Industry Association and moved to Washington D.C. in 1978, acknowledging that the futures industry has a national scope and participation.
The shift to the global perspective on the industry occurred in the mid-1980s, when international firms were invited to become members.
|MarketsWiki is sponsored by|
|International Securities Exchange|
The FIA's current membership includes nearly 250 corporate members. Regular members are Futures Commission Merchants. Associate members include U.S. and international exchanges and clearinghouses, banks, legal and accounting firms, Introducing Brokers, Commodity Trading Advisors, Commodity Pool Operators and other market users, and information and service providers headquartered in the U.S. and abroad.
Products and Services
The FIA serves as a liaison between the industry and Congress, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and other regulators whose activities affect the derivatives markets. FIA staff monitors legislative and regulatory developments, attends CFTC meetings and Congressional hearings, testifies before Congress and regulators and writes comment letters on proposed rules and other issues that impact the industry.
Volume and Open Interest Reports
The FIA collects and compiles daily volume and open interest data on all domestic and international futures, options on futures and stock indexes, interest rate and currency contracts traded on U.S. securities exchanges. Reports on volume and open interest are made available to FIA members and other industry participants.
In addition to monthly statistics, the volume report includes comparisons with previous year and year-to-date figures. The information is compiled both by exchange and by commodity group, highlighting significant changes. Each January, FIA creates a year-end report which provides information by commodity group for five years and graphically provides more than 20 years of data.
The FIA hosts a number of annual and single-session events and conferences in cities around the world.
Events can have a broad industry focus, for example, the annual Futures & Options Expo showcases risk management products, trading tools, books and exchange and technology products as presented by more than 100 U.S. and international companies. The Expo also offers a variety of sessions that allow participants to discuss industry trends, hear experts' views on key issues, improve trading skills and learn about new products, systems and practices. The programs include sessions for business, operations and technology professionals, and traders. More than 4,000 people from more than 30 countries attend Expo in a typical year ranging from senior staff at brokerage firms and exchanges to professional traders, floor traders, CTAs and CPOs, and individual investors. The first Expo, in a trial run, was held on the CME trading floor in the 1980s.
Events can also be much more in-depth and specific, such as the annual Law & Compliance Division Workshop, which brings together compliance officers, attorneys, and regulators to consider issues affecting the legal and regulatory framework of the derivatives industry.
Futures Industry Magazine is published six times a year by the FIA for brokerage firm management, futures professionals, active corporate, institutional and individual traders, members of Congress and their staffs, regulatory officials, and domestic and international press. 
NFA Members (as of Nov. 1, 2007)
- A.G. Edwards & Sons, Inc.
- ADM Investor Services
- Banc of America Securities LLC
- Barclays Capital Inc.
- Bear, Stearns & Co. Inc.
- BNP Paribas Commodity Futures, Inc.
- Calyon Financial Inc.
- Cantor Fitzgerald
- Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
- Country Hedging, Inc.
- Credit Suisse Securities (USA), LLC
- Daiwa Securities America Inc.
- Deutsche Bank Securities Inc.
- Fimat USA, LLC
- Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Greenwich Capital Markets, Inc.
- HSBC Securities (USA) Inc.
- Interactive Brokers LLC
- J.P. Morgan Futures Inc.
- Lehman Brothers Inc.
- Macquarie Futures USA Inc.
- McVean Trading and Investments LLC
- Merrill Lynch Pierce Fenner & Smith Inc.
- MF Global
- Mid-Co Commodities, Inc.
- Mizuho Securities USA Inc.
- Morgan Stanley
- Nomura Securities International, Inc.
- Penson GHCO
- Prudential Bache Commodities, LLC
- R.J. O'Brien & Associates, Inc.
- Vision Financial Markets LLC
Associate members are U.S. and international exchanges and clearinghouses, banks, legal and accounting firms, introducing brokers, commodity trading advisors, commodity pool operators and other market users, and information and service providers headquartered in the U.S. and abroad.
- 7Ticks IT Consulting
- A J Leitner and Associates, LLC
- AIG Clearing Corporation
- Alan L. Seifert - Derivatives Regulatory Consultant
- Allen & Overy LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Arthur Bell Certified Public Accountants
- AtosEuronext Market Solutions Limited
- Bank of New York
- Blau & Bonavich
- Bolsa de Mercadorias & Futuros (BM&F)
- Borsa Italiana SPA
- Bourse de Montreal Inc.
- BP Corporation North America, Inc.
- Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.
- BT Global Financial Services
- Bursa Malaysia
- Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Campbell & Company Inc.
- Capital Futures Corp.
- Capital Markets Consulting LLC
- Caxton Associates, L.L.C.
- CBOE Futures Exchange, LLC
- Central Japan Commodity Exchange (CCOM)
- Chicago Board Options Exchange
- Chicago Climate Exchange
- Citadel Investment Group, L.L.C.
- Clearing Corporation, The (CCorp.)
- Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton
- Clifford Chance LLP
- CME Group (formerly CME and CBOT)
- COMEX Division of the New York Mercantile Exchange Inc.
- Commodity Floor Brokers and Traders Association
- Connamara Systems, LLC
- CQG, Inc.
- Crow & Associates
- Dalian Commodity Exchange
- Davis Polk & Wardwell
- Dechert LLP
- Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Dennis Murray - Consultant
- Denton Wilde Sapte
- Deutsche Boerse Systems AG
- Dolphin Capital Management Inc.
- DPM Mellon
- DRW Holdings, LLC
- Equinix, Inc.
- eSpeed, Inc.
- Eurex/Deutsche Boerse
- Exchange Systems Technology LTD
- Federated Investors Inc.
- FfastFill, P.L.C.
- Fidessa Group
- Financial Futures Association of Japan
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Futures Magazine
- FuturesPoint, Inc.
- Geneva Trading
- GL Trade Ltd
- GlobeOp Financial Services LLC
- Goldstein Golub Kessler LLP
- Grant Thornton LLP
- Harris N.A.
- HedgeStreet, Inc.
- Heller Ehrman LLP
- Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEx)
- ICE Clear US, Inc.
- IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE)
- Intermarket Communications
- Janice C. Abrahamson - Futures Consultant
- Japan Commodity Futures Industry Association
- Japan Federation of Commodity Exchanges Inc.
- John W. Henry & Company, Inc.
- Jordan & Jordan
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- JSE Securities Exchange
- JWM Partners, LLC
- Kanetsu Shoji Co., Ltd.
- Kansas City Board of Trade
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis LLP
- Koch Industries, Inc.
- Korea Exchange
- Korea Futures Association
- Lawrence, Kamin, Saunders & Uhlenhop, L.L.C.
- LCH.Clearnet Limited
- Levenfeld Pearlstein, LLC
- London Metal Exchange Limited
- Managed Funds Association (MFA)
- Marex Financial Limited
- Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- Mercado a Termino de Buenos Aires (MATba)
- Mercado a Termino de Rosario SA (ROFEX)
- Mercado Mexicano de Derivados (MexDer)
- Merrill Lynch Commodities, Inc.
- Micro Design Services, LLC
- Millburn Ridgefield Corporation
- Minneapolis Grain Exchange
- Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd.
- Nathan Law Office
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA)
- National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange Limited (NCDEX)
- National Corn Growers Association
- National Economic Research Associates (NERA)
- National Stock Exchange of India Limited
- New York Board of Trade
- New York Mercantile Exchange
- Nihon Unicom Corporation
- Northern Trust Company
- Okato Shoji Co., Ltd.
- OMX Technology
- OneChicago, LLC
- Options Clearing Corporation
- Optiver US LLC
- Orc Software Inc.
- Philadelphia Board of Trade
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Promontory Financial Group, LLC
- RBS Greenwich Futures Ltd.
- Rolfe & Nolan Systems Inc.
- RSM McGladrey, Inc.
- RTS Realtime Systems
- Russell Investment Group
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- SDS Financial Technologies, Inc.
- Sentinel Management Group, Inc.
- Shanghai Futures Exchange
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Singapore Exchange Ltd.
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Southfield Corporation
- SSARIS Advisors LLC
- Standard & Poor's
- Strategics, Inc.
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Stumpp & Bond, LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- SunGard Futures Systems
- Superfund Asset Management, Inc.
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Swiss Futures and Options Association
- Sydney Futures Exchange Limited
- Taiwan Futures Exchange
- Teigland-Hunt & Associates
- Tellefsen and Company, L.L.C.
- Term Commodities Inc.
- Thailand Futures Exchange
- The French Association of Investment Firms - A.F.E.I.
- The Global Capital Group Ltd.
- Thelen Reid Brown Raysman & Steiner LLP
- Tokyo Commodity Exchange
- Tokyo Financial Exchange Inc.
- Tokyo Grain Exchange
- Tokyo Stock Exchange, Inc.
- Trading Technologies
- TradingScreen Inc.
- Tudor Investment Corporation
- U.S. Futures Exchange
- Wachovia Bank, NA
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Winnipeg Commodity Exchange Inc.
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- WTD Consulting, Inc.
- YJT Solutions, LLC
- "FIA Member Firms. Futures Industry Association.