SEC Investor Advisory Committee
|SEC Investor Advisory Committee|
On June 3, 2009, Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Mary Schapiro announced the formation of an Investor Advisory Committee to give investors a greater voice in the Commission's work. SEC Commissioner Luis A. Aguilar will serve as the Commission's primary sponsor of the Committee.
The Investor Advisory Committee's charter provides for a broad scope of interest, including:
- Advising the Commission on matters of concern to investors in the securities markets
- Providing the Commission with investors' perspectives on current, non-enforcement, regulatory issues
- Serving as a source of information and recommendations to the Commission regarding the Commission's regulatory programs from the point of view of investors
The Advisory Committee will be co-chaired by Richard (Mac) Hisey, president of AARP Financial Incorporated and AARP Funds, and Hye-Won Choi, senior vice president and head of corporate governance for TIAA-CREF. Fred J. Joseph, president of the North American Securities Administrators Association and securities administrator for the State of Colorado, will be an ex-officio participant.
The Advisory Committee's other members will include:
- Mark Anson, president and executive director of investment services, Nuveen Investments
- Mercer Bullard, founder and president of Fund Democracy, Inc. and Associate Professor of Law, University of Mississippi Law School
- Jeff Brown, senior vice president, legislative and regulatory affairs, Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
- Stephen Davis, senior fellow and project director, Yale University School for Management's Millstein Center for Corporate Governance, and nonexecutive chair of Hermes Equity Ownership Service
- Abe Friedman, global head of corporate governance and proxy voting and managing director, Barclays Global Investors
- Mellody Hobson, president of Ariel Capital Management
- Dennis A. Johnson, managing director, Shamrock Capital Advisors, Inc.
- Adam Kanzer, managing director and general counsel, Domini Social Investments LLC
- Mark Latham, director of Proxy Democracy, a nonprofit organization helping individual investors
- Barbara Roper, director of investor protection, Consumer Federation of America
- Dallas Salisbury, president and ceo, Employee Benefit Research Institute
- Kurt Schacht, managing director, CFA Institute
- Damon Silvers, associate general counsel, AFL-CIO
- Kurt Stocker, chairman of the Individual Investors Advisory Board of the NYSE
- Ann Yerger, executive director, Council of Institutional Investors
- Press Release. Securities and Exchange Commission.