|Key People||Peng Zhao, CEO|
Citadel Securities is a leading global market maker for a wide array of fixed income and equity products. It is the U.S.'s biggest equity and options market maker.  Its automated equities platform trades more than 20% of U.S. equities volume across more than 11,000 U.S.-listed securities, and it trades over 16,000 OTC securities. It executes approximately 35% of all U.S.-listed retail volume.
In September 2015 Citadel Securities launched a European fixed-income market-making business, continuing its challenge to bank dominance of trading in government debt and derivatives. Citadel intended to use this as a first step to build a broader European trading business. It will initially offer to trade swaps denominated in US dollars to European customers during local trading hours.
In January 2017, Citadel Securities agreed to pay $22.6 million to U.S. market regulators to settle charges that it misled customers over the prices they were getting for some of their deals. The SEC said that two of the algorithms Citadel Securities used to execute orders on behalf of retail investors had not tried to obtain the best price in the marketplace.
In December 2018 Citadel Securities agreed to pay penalties of $3.5 million to the SEC for submitting incomplete and inaccurate blue sheet data. The SEC uses such data to investigate potential insider trading and other fraud.
It was reported in October 2020 that Citadel Securities planned to acquire IMC's market making unit on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) trading floor. The acquisition would expand Citadel's position as one of the largest floor brokers on the NYSE floor in terms of market cap and number of securities. 
Products and Services
Citadel Securities acts as a specialist or market maker in more than 4,000 U.S. listed-options names, representing 99% of traded volume, and ranks as a top liquidity provider on the major U.S. options exchanges.
Citadel Securities is the largest DMM on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. It is also one of the world's largest ETF traders.
Valuation Metrics, a Citadel Securities Corporate Solutions offering, provides clients with focused targeting of institutional investors.
- Ken Griffin, Founder
- Peng Zhao, Chief Executive Officer
- Matt Culek, Chief Operating Officer
- Joe Corcoran, Head of Markets
- Heath Tarbert, Chief Legal Officer
- Paul Hamill, Global Head of Fixed Income Distribution
- Citadel Securities recruits second former equities regulator. The Financial Times.
- Citadel pushes into European swaps market. The Financial Times.
- Citadel Securities, Natixis & MUFG fined $6 million for blue sheet data failures. The Trade News.
- The Small Exchange Raises $10 Million from Citadel Securities and Jump Capital in New Strategic Financing Round. Press Release.
- Citadel Securities expands trading floor unit at NYSE with IMC takeover. The TRADE.
- Equities & Options. Citadel Securities.
- Valuation Metrics. Citadel Securities.