|Key People||Kevin Worth, CEO, Kevin Reynolds, Editor-in-Chief|
|Products||News, Events, Indices|
CoinDesk is a native crypto financial news media website and events and indices company founded in May of 2013 and owned by Digital Currency Group. CoinDesk was founded by entrepreneur Shakil Khan, who sold the company to DCG in 2015.
It was founded in the nascent years of cryptocurrency and blockchain after bitcoin 2009 arrival.
CoinDesk is the operator of the popular Consensus conference.
In July of 2013, CoinDeck launched a price reference rate for bitcoin, which was sourced and quoted by major media world-wide.
In 2015, CoinDesk hosted the first-ever global crypto and blockchain conference named “Consensus.”
CoinDesk became a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group in 2016. CoinDesk was bought for $500,000. It had 10 full-time employees and 700,000 monthly readers at the time of the sale.
The CoinDesk subsidiary continues to operate independently of its parent company.
Longtime Wall Street Journal journalist Michael Casey joined CoinDesk in 2019 as chief content officer.
In 2021 CoinDesk acquired TradeBlock, a provider of indices and institutional trading tools for digital currencies. It was rebranded as the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index (XBX).
In 2019, DCG announced CoinDesk would moved into offices in Manhattan in New York that also included other DCG companies.
Products and Services
- Online news
- Kevin Worth - CEO
- Michael Casey - Chief Content Officer
- Kevin Reynolds - Editor-in-Chief
- Nick Baker - Deputy Editor-in-Chief
- Silbert’s Once-$10 Billion Crypto Empire Is Showing Cracks. Bloomberg.
- Angel Investor, Spotify Fixer Shakil Khan Launches Coindesk, A Bitcoin Resource. Techcrunch.
- CoinDesk's quietly profitable media business. Axios.
- About. CoinDesk.
- CoinDesk to Move Into Same Building as Owner Digital Currency Group. CoinDesk}.