Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment
The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment (US SIF) is the US membership association for professionals, firms, institutions and organizations engaged in socially responsible and sustainable investing. It is a non-profit 501(c)(6)organization. Its activities are supported by the US SIF Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)(3), which is responsible for and manages educational, research and programmatic activities.
US SIF and US SIF Foundation were called the Social Investment Forum Ltd. and the Social Investment Forum Foundation in 2010. Their names were changed in 2011.
Products and Services
US SIF provides research, education, and advocacy services to investors, asset managers, financial advisors, and policymakers. It promotes the integration of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into investment decision-making while advancing policies and regulations that support sustainable and responsible investing. US SIF’s and the US SIF Foundation’s primary activities and strategies for advancing sustainable investing include:
- Research, including a biennial Report on US Sustainable Investing Trends, as well as fact sheets and guidebooks on sustainable investing;
- Education and training through online, live virtual and in-person courses for financial professionals and retail investors. It offers, in collaboration with the College for Financial Planning, the only sustainable investment designation in the United States;
- Outreach to legislators and regulators while providing members opportunities to engage in advancing public policy;
- Public awareness campaigns for sustainable investing by educating the media and speaking at key investor events;
- Opportunities for US SIF members to enhance their professional expertise through US SIF webinars, other programs and networking;
- Opportunities for the sustainable and impact investing community to convene at annual national conference and at local events.
The members of US SIF represent $5 trillion in assets under management or advisement in 2022. They include investment management and advisory firms, mutual fund companies, asset owners, data and research firms, financial planners and advisors, broker-dealers, banks, credit unions, community development financial institutions and non-profit associations. In 2022, US SIF modified its methodology. Asset manager reporting changed as well. These changes resulted in sustainable investment AUM of $8.4 trillion, significantly lower than in past years. U.S. professionally managed assets (non-sustainable investment) at year end 2021 totaled $66.6 trillion.
Lisa Woll, CEO
Diederik Timmer, Chair
- [https://www.ussif.org/Files/Publications/2010_Annual_Report.pdf 2010 US SIF and US SIF Foundation Annual Sustainability and Financial Report]. US SIF.
- About Us. US SIF.
- membership. US SIF.
- Institutional members. US SIF.
- [https://www.ussif.org//Files/Trends/2022/Trends%202022%20Executive%20Summary.pdf US SIF 2022 Report On US Sustainable Investing Trends]. US SIF.