GMEX (Global Markets Exchange Group International LLP)
|Global Markets Exchange Group|
|Headquarters||London, England, U.K.|
|Key People||Hirander Misra, CEO and Co-Founder|
|Products||Fintech developer, other financial services|
Global Markets Exchange Group International LLP (GMEX) is a London-based company offering consulting and technology services as well as derivatives exchanges, pending regulatory approval from the U.K’s Financial Conduct Authority.  It received approval from the U.S. CFTC to launch original interest rate swap futures contracts in 2015.
It was created to take advantage of market opportunities made possible by changes to international regulation in developed markets and by growth in emerging markets, according to a press release.
In December 2014, GMEX entered into a licensing agreement with Deutsche Boerse Eurex for it to list euro-denominated swap futures based on GMEX's Constant Maturity Future (CMF) methodology. Under the terms of the agreement, Eurex will list contracts that will clear via Eurex Clearing. 
Simulated trading began in April 2015, and the launch was scheduled for August 7th, 2015. The electronic arranging of CMF contracts will take place on GMEX’s platform with trade confirmation and central clearing taking place at Eurex. GMEX CMF is based on the Interest Rate Swap Index Average (IRSIA) and tracks the interest rate exposure at each point on the yield curve by removing the expiry date and marking the contract to market against an IRSIA Constant Maturity Index on a daily basis. Thereby the contract facilitates the management of interest rate exposure without a constant need to re-adjust and maintains the liquidity of a given maturity from 2 to 30 years.
In addition to the deal with Eurex, in 2014 GMEX also made deals with Tradition and Tullett Prebon Ltd, and in January 2015 GMEX signed up the electronic market maker Virtu Financial as a liquidity provider.
On February 17, 2015 Societe Generale Prime Services (formerly Newedge) announced that it had acquired a minority stake in GMEX, becoming the second minority investor in the group after Deutsche Boerse Group.
GMEX launched the GMEX Market Advancement Programme (MAP) and GMEX Fusion solutions in 2017.
In June of 2018 GMEX participated in the launch of the Mauritius based International Commodities and Derivatives Exchange (MINDEX).
Products and Services
GMEX Group is divided into three divisions:
- Global Markets Exchange Group, a holding company for planned securities, commodities, and derivatives exchanges.
- GMEX Technologies, which includes a matching engine, surveillance system and several front-end trading platforms. This division also provides technology services to exchange users.
- Global Derivatives Indices, which will produce indices based on OTC markets.
GMEX Group, which had already established exchange consulting, technology and index divisions, announced on August 12, 2013 the launch of Global Markets Exchange Group Limited (”GMEX”), a wholly-owned subsidiary, as a Multilateral Trading Facility (“MTF”), pending regulatory approval.
On September 9, 2013, GMEX announced the expected launch of Constant Maturity Futures (CMF). Designed to address the complications for hedging interest rates that have been associated with the standard quarterly expiring futures contracts, the products needed to wait for regulatory approval.
In October 2013, Deutsche Boerse purchased a minority stake in Global Markets Exchange Group. The exact terms were not disclosed, except that DB said it had paid a "single digit million GBP sum" for the stake. 
In December of 2013, GMEX Technologies launched a derivatives trading reporting service called Global Reporting Company, formed in partnership with Paris-based CoDiese, a regulatory and market infrastructure advisory firm.
In July 2014, a research study at University College London determined that the overnight process that maintains constant maturity of the GMEX CMF contract had not produced any significant "novation costs" for any swap tenor during the period analyzed, thus validating the contract as a viable alternative to interest rate swaps.
On November 17, 2021, GMEX announced that GMEX MultiHub Limited (GMEX), a new business unit of the GMEX Group, had launched Digital MultiHub (MultiHub), a cloud-based platform that facilitates third-party trading and post-trade services across traditional and digital asset markets. MultiHub is delivered through a platform-as-a-service, microservices distribution model and enables capital markets participants to access regulated digital assets and market infrastructure.
Recognized as U.K. blockchain leader
In July 2018, the GMEX Group was recognized by the U.K.'s government as one of the most significant leaders in the development and implementation of blockchain technology in the U.K. to date. This came from a 960-page report created by several companies - Big Innovation Centre, DAG Global, and Deep Knowledge Analytics - who collaborated with the U.K.'s All Party Parliamentary Group on Blockchain (APPG Blockchain) to create a comprehensive analysis of the U.K.-based blockchain and cryptocurrency industries. This report also lauded GMEX's CEO and co-founder, Hirander Misra, as one of the top blockchain business influencers in the U.K.
The report highlights Fusion, GMEX's hybrid centralized/blockchain digital trading suite, and makes special note of two initiatives backed by GMEX. The first is FinComEco, a trading ecosystem developed by GMEX that includes exchanges built off of different blockchains. The other is the Mauritius International Derivatives and Commodities Exchange (MINDEX), an international exchange based in Mauritius. According to the report, MINDEX is an exchange that will enable sourcing, trading, and financing of ethically-sourced gold using a blockchain to verify its origin.
The report can be read here.
In February 2019 GMEX Technologies, a division of the GMEX Group specializing in fintech, launched two cryptocurrency custody products for the GMEX Fusion product suite: ForumCustody and ForumWallet. These products were developed for use by high-volume digital asset holders.
ForumCustody is a software product on the GMEX Fusion platform. It uses standard cryptocurrency wallets to manage the user's digital assets, and can interact with third-party trading systems to send and receive digital assets. ForumCustody also manages internal balances and locks withdrawal requests until confirmed by the GMEX Fusion user.
ForumWallet is a "digital vault", or a high-security wallet that can be integrated with ForumCustody.
- Hirander Misra, Chief Executive Officer
- VJ Angelo, President and Managing Director
- James Davies, Chief Operating Officer
- Misra Starts London Derivatives Venue as Rival to Nasdaq. Bloomberg News.
- Rebranding. London Derivatives Exchange.
- GMEX Group separates exchange from technology business amid restructure. The Trade News.
- GMEX exchange rebrands as London Derivatives Exchange amid restructure. The Trade News.
- Global Markets Exchange Group announces new innovative Derivatives Exchange. GMEX.
- Eurex and GMEX cooperate in swap futures trading and clearing. Automated Trader.
- Eurex Adds to Swap-Future Lineup as Rules Reshape Market. Bloomberg.
- GMEX interest rate swap futures launch for trading in August at Eurex. GMEX.
- GMEX interest rate swap futures launch for trading in August at Eurex. FTSE Global Markets.
- GMEX readies for launch with Virtu deal. The Trade.
- SocGen Prime Services acquires minority stake in Gmex Group. Finextra.
- GMEX leads consortium to launch a Mauritius based International Commodities and Derivatives Exchange (MINDEX) ecosystem. GMEX press release.
- GMEX announces pioneering swap futures contract to allow effective hedging of interest rate exposure. PRLOG.
- Press Release: Deutsche Boerse supports market innovation by acquiring a stake in GMEX Group. GMEX Group.
- Newedge to join forces with GMEX Group. Newedge.
- GMEX Launches Trade Reporting Service, Mulls Data, Analytics. Waters Technology.
- GMEX Unveils Trade Reporting Service for Derivatives To Comply with EMIR. Wall St. & Technology.
- Press Release: University College London validates GMEX Constant Maturity Future. GMEX.
- GMEX launches interoperable trading and post-trade hub bridging access between traditional and digital asset markets. GMEX.
- GMEX named as one of the leading Financial Services technology companies in UK blockchain economy. Mondo Visione.
- GMEX Launches Crypto Custodian and Vault Services. Finance Magnates.