|Key People||Oki Matusmoto, Chairman and CEO|
|Products||Financial Services and Venture Investing|
|Website||Monex Group Homepage|
Monex Group, Inc. is an internationally active, diversified Japanese financial services holding company.
Monex acquired all of the shares of failing Coincheck, a Japanese cryptocurrency trading platform in April 2018 for $33 million. Coincheck's customers' accounts had been hacked and they lost $530 million worth of the cryptocurrency NEM. Coincheck is a cryptocurrency trading platform. After ceasing many of its operations, Monex reported on November 26, 2018 that all pre-hack services had been restored and were operational.
On December 4, 2018, ErisX, a cryptocurrency designated contract market and a derivatives clearing organization regulated by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, announced that Monex's subsidiary TradeStation Securities had invested in ErisX's second funding round.
In a further show of support for Coincheck, in September 2019 the company provided a dividend of 500 Japanese yen worth of bitcoin to shareholders with accounts at Coincheck. The company announced on March 23, 2020, that it would repeat the special distribution at the end of the month.
Monex Group, Inc., whose shares are listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, is the parent of a number of financial services companies. Monex, Inc. is an online securities brokerage in Japan. In addition to Coincheck, the Monex Group also consists of a cryptocurrency bank, an internal financing corporation, and an investment and venture advisory subsidiary in Japan. It also offers brokerage services in other parts of Asia and in Australia. Monex Group acquired TradeStation Securities, a U.S. securities and futures brokerage firm, in 2011.
- Why Japanese Monex Group's Purchase Of Hacking Victim Coincheck Was A Smart Buy After All. Forbes.
- Exchange News: Coincheck Resumes All Trading, Bitmex Insurance Fund Grows. Bitcoin.com.
- Fidelity, Bitmain and More Invest $27 Million in Crypto Trading Platform ErisX. Coindesk.
- Notice on Granting Cryptocurrency Bitcoin as Mid-term Shareholder Benefit for Fiscal Year 2019. Monex Group.
- Monex Gifts Bitcoin to Shareholders with Coincheck Crypto Accounts. Finance Magnates.
- Website. Monex Group.