Nodal Clear is a clearing house providing central counterparty clearing services for Nodal Exchange and FairX. Nodal Clear is a Derivatives Clearing Organization (DCO) pursuant to the Commodity Exchange Act and is regulated by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Nodal Clear is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nodal Exchange. Nodal Clear LLC's reach was expanded by the CFTC on November 13, 2020 when the U.S. regulatory agency approved an Amended Order of Registration for Nodal's clearing arm that allowed it to clear for other designated contract markets in addition to the Nodal Exchange.
Nodal Exchange, headquartered outside of Washington D.C. in Tysons Corner, VA, was founded in mid-2007 to offer power derivatives contracts on US electricity locations, also known as nodes.
In September 2015, the CFTC granted Nodal Clear, LLC as a derivatives clearing organization. On October 19, 2015, Nodal Exchange, LLC announced the migration of 100 percent of the positions in Nodal Exchange contracts from LCH.Clearnet to Nodal Clear, the new clearing house subsidiary of Nodal Exchange.
In May 2016, Nodal Clear was named “Newcomer of the Year” by Energy Risk magazine at The Energy Risk Awards 2016.
In January 2017, Nodal Clear was awarded the “Clearinghouse Innovation of the Year” at the Risk Awards 2017.
In June of 2021, Nodal Clear was announced by FairX, as the clearing firm for the start-up exchange aimed at bringing "smaller, simpler, more accessible futures for active individual investors."
- FairX. FairX.
- Press Release. CFTC.
- CFTC Approves Nodal Clear, LLC to Clear for Other Designated Contract Markets. CFTC.gov.
- CFTC Approves Nodal Clear, LLC to Clear for Other Designated Contract Markets. Nodal Exchange.com.
- CFTC Grants Nodal Clear Registration as a DCO. Nodal Exchange.com.
- Nodal Clear Named “Newcomer of the Year” at Energy Risk Awards 2016. Nodal Exchange.com.
- Nodal Exchange Named “Exchange of the Year” at Energy Risk Awards 2017. Nodal Exchange.com.
- FairX Announces New Futures Exchange for Retail Investors. FairX.